Critical Thinking Reflection

Module learning:

In UCS1001, I embarked on a journey to refine my critical thinking and communication skills, aiming to express my ideas more effectively. Throughout this course, I learned how to analyse information more critically, employing frameworks such as the Paul Elder Framework to evaluate arguments more effectively. As a result, I believe I have achieved the goal of communicating my ideas more effectively.

One notable example of this improvement occurred during group interactions regarding our tech report. I found that I was able to express myself more clearly by providing detailed explanations, which facilitated better understanding among my groupmates. This clarity in communication proved crucial in removing potential miscommunication barriers.

By honing my critical thinking and communication skills helped enhance my ability to articulate ideas more clearly. I have become more confident in expressing myself both verbally and in written form. This newfound clarity has not only improved my academic performance but also has practical implications for effective communication in various contexts, including future group projects, presentations, and professional interactions.

Overall, UCS1001 has played a significant role in helping me develop the necessary skills to communicate my ideas effectively, and I look forward to further refining these skills in future endeavours.


Project learning:

Reflecting on my presentation during the research project, I acknowledge that while I didn't memorize my content word for word, I did rely on memorizing key points to guide my delivery. However, I found myself needing prompts to initiate my thoughts and articulate the content effectively. As the presenter, I felt confident in delivering the main points, but looking at it from the audience's perspective, I realize that this approach might have resulted in awkward pauses and instances where I appeared to be struggling to recall information.

In hindsight, I understand that relying solely on memorization without practising fluid delivery can lead to a less natural and engaging presentation. Moving forward, I aim to practice more spontaneous delivery and not rely too much on memorized content. This can be achieved through more frequent presentations where I build up my confidence in front of a crowd. By doing so, I believe I can improve my presentation skills and deliver content more naturally and engagingly.

Moreover, this experience has prompted a shift in my perspective on learning. Initially, my focus was solely on delivering the content, neglecting to consider the audience's experience. However, this experience has highlighted the importance of putting myself in the audience's shoes and considering how they perceive my presentation. This broader perspective has underscored the significance of delivering content in a clear, engaging, and relatable manner.

From this realization, I have learned the value of empathy in communication and the importance of continually striving to improve my presentation skills. Moving forward, I am committed to avoiding the same mistake by prioritizing audience engagement and delivering presentations that effectively communicate ideas while resonating with the audience.


Comments

  1. Thank you very much, ZhiSheng, for this well crafted and insightful reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self-introduction e-mail

Quote by Marybeth Miceli

Summary Reader Response draft 1